June 1, 2008

Yard work

We had mulch delivered on Wednesday. Lucy and I enjoyed watching the truck dump it right in the middle of our driveway. I spent three hours in the morning getting it spread around the front landscaping. It was a beautiful day and very therapeutic for me to be out working in the yard. Lucy started out shirtless, except for a Home Depot apron. Then I worried about her getting burned, so I covered her up. Right before we started working on the mulch, she stepped on the scooter wrong and took a hit in the nose,which caused it to bleed. Once we got that taken care of, she loved loading her bucket full of mulch and spreading it around.


After nearly an hour of being really helpful, she started leaving the yard. So I strapped her into the car seat in hopes of her falling asleep. It worked. She ate a little sandwich and was out in five minutes. That was great, because she got a good nap in and I ended up getting several hours to myself to work in the yard, and do snack and dinner prep before the boys got home at 4:30pm.

So, Wednesday evening, we had our FHE activity. I thought the boys would love loading the wheelbarrow and dumping the dirt around. But, before they started loving it, they had really bad attitudes and were bickering like crazy. I called Brad from the backyard for reinforcement and he did what only a good, loving father can do- took them into the garage and gave them a royal chewing out. It made me laugh for a couple of reasons. One, because I didn’t have to do it, two, because I don’t get why they bicker over such stupid stuff, and three, because here we’ve set out to have a great family activity together and ten minutes into it, the whole family, minus me, is being chewed out in the garage.

Amazingly, after that, the boys did great and we did have a good time together. We spent another three or four hours spreading mulch and getting the whole project done. We’ve lived here four years and this is the first year we’ve replenished the mulch. It looks really nice. I really love our landscaping. The original owners did it right. There’s hardly any maintenance and the bushes and trees are gorgeous this time of year.

2 comments:

abm said...

Isn't it amazing what our dear children fight over? Makes me crazy at times. You have a beautiful home & yard. This is the first time I've seen your home.

Kerry said...

I hear you about the bickering thing, although I remember not being too thrilled when my dad decided to rip out the grass in our side yard and replace it with a BUNCH of small rocks he had delivered into the front yard....that was a huge hauling project for us kids. Your home is so pretty! It looks like you have quite a bit of space between homes, which I long to have some day. :)