At the end of my eighth grade year, a friend and I decided to try out for cheerleader. Each night, when my dad came home from work, he’d see me practicing my moves in the family room. I had worked hard and made it through the first few cuts- down to the final twelve. Only six of us would be chosen. The student body would make the final vote. I remember going to the big assembly where the names of the winners were announced and my name wasn't read. What an uncomfortable situation. Of course, I wanted to be gracious about it and happy for the girls who won, but inside I was heart broken. When I got home that evening, I found this card on my bed.
(Click on picture to make larger)
Note: I've always loved my Dad's handwriting.
I cried when I read it. The fact that I still have it shows how much it meant to me. I especially liked the "P.S. I'll buy you a new dress." He was obviously in tune with what could soothe a 13-year-old girls heart.
Another example of this compassion was one Christmas when he gave our electric heater away. There was a family in our ward who were very poor. It was just a father and a son and they truly lived in a shack. They didn't have any heat and it was a bitter cold winter. We had a small electrical heater in our basement playroom that we girls loved to curl up around. I remember Dad telling us about this family in need and asking if we would be willing to give up our heater to help them. I was only five or six years old when this happened, but it made a deep impression on me.
And, last but not least, the family picnic experience. This must have occured when I was in high school. We had gone to a local park to eat dinner and enjoy ourselves. As we were about to leave, I remember seeing my Dad walking toward a tree in the distance where a homeless man was resting. I hadn't even seen the man before then, but Dad obviously had and prepared a plate of food to give to him. This was a quiet gesture on Dad's part, but a powerful teaching moment for me.
These are just three of countless times my Dad has shared his gift of compassion in his quiet way without looking for recognition. Thanks Dad, for being such a great example to me. Happy Father's Day!
Love, AM
1 comment:
Those are some great memories. I hope your dad knows what lasting impressions he's made. Thanks for sharing that.
Post a Comment