I need to write a few things down about Sawyer’s concert last night. It was quite a learning experience. First off, we almost didn’t make the concert because Sawyer’s violin seemed like it was falling apart while he was practicing at home. All the strings were loose etc. and since neither of us know much about caring for a violin, I thought we were doomed.
The next thing I knew, Sawyer was bawling his eyes out and said he didn’t even want to go “to the stupid concert.”
I really wanted him to go, despite the fact that his song sounded horrible while he was practicing and the only other time I’ve ever heard him practice was the night before the last concert. But, I thought it would be good for him and he said his teacher might be able to get his violin back in working order. So we went. And, she was able to fix it.
Mind you, this was a concert for the high school strings students as well, and there was a full orchestra. Everyone was dressed up in their performance garb of black dresses, tuxedos, etc. And it was kind of a big deal. The auditorium was full.
I had asked Sawyer if he needed me to buy him black pants and he said “no”, so I left it at that. Apparently, he didn’t notice that he was the only kid up there with blue jeans on and he was sitting on the front row. So they didn’t really “blend” in.
That was a little awkward, but the real shock came when his group went on stage to get set up. Everyone was quietly going about it, using nice stage etiquette, except for one kid. He was waving at everyone and blowing kisses, exaggerating each movement. He repeated the waves multiple times, clearly wanting to draw attention to himself.
I could hear people whispering, “that kid is really trying to show off...” I agreed. The only problem was, that kid was MINE. I was mortified and started slinking down in my chair pretending not to know him. He is normally rather reserved on stage and doesn’t want to stand out. I couldn’t figure out what the heck had gotten into him. (If it were Spencer or Lucy, I wouldn’t have been so surprised, but Sawyer?)
His class sounded surprising good as they played together. I didn’t hear all the squeaks I had heard at home and thought “maybe he isn’t playing?” But he was. Afterward, his teacher came up to me and said, “I’m going to have to do something about the waving. All four of my classes need a lesson on concert etiquette. Some of the kids were trying to leave to use the bathroom in the middle of the concert...” I agreed and thanked her.
Then she said, “Just so you know, Sawyer could be one of those kids up there (referring to the 1st and 2nd chair violinists).” I looked confused and wondered if she knew I was Sawyer’s mom or had me mixed up with someone else. I said “Sawyer?”. She said, “Yes. I’m serious. He has what it takes to play like one of those kids someday if he gets some private lessons, etc.” Another shock.
Last week, he was talking about quitting violin next year. But, we may have a budding musician after all. Someday, he may look back on this concert and just shake his head.

No comments:
Post a Comment