April 25, 2008

Outrageous Buys and Sells

Brad and I are generally pretty frugal people, but, this year have had a couple of outrageous purchases. The first was a block of cheese for $6/lb. And no, it wasn’t some fancy cheese that merited the price, it was just our everyday sharp cheddar. We about choked when we realized what we had paid.

The second, was a Star Wars Lego set for $100. I think Legos are great, but not for $100 and not when it’s something you put together and then just look at it. (This occurred in one of the rare moments when I took my kids to the store and actually allowed their arguments to persuade me. Spencer actually paid $50 towards this. Ouch!)


We did have an Ebay sell to balance out our losses. Brad purchased a Hewlett Packard Business Consultant II calculator in 1993 for around $60. It’s been laying around the house for years without use and so he decided to give Ebay a try and got a whopping $305.00! The only explanation is that the exact calculator is discontinued and some view it as a collectors item. So, look around your house- you may strike it rich with the push of a button.

2 comments:

abm said...

I need to learn how to sell on Ebay. I've been trying my hand on KSL and sold a couple of items, but think I'd do better on Ebay. Can you walk me through the process??

Abi said...

That is a good idea to sell stuff on eaby! I buy stuff al the time, but never sell.