March 20, 2008

Happy Birthday to Charlie- Six Years Old!





Happy birthday to Charlie! We celebrated last night because of another commitment tonight. Charlie wanted donuts for his birthday dessert, so, while the boys were at school, Lucy and I ran last minute errands for the party. I have to share what happened.

As we were leaving Meijer, I put the box of donuts on the bottom rack of the cart so they wouldn’t get smashed. A minute later, while in the middle of a cold, dirty parking lot, the donuts fell off the cart unbeknownst to me and the cart ran over them. I gasped, and quickly bent down to pick up the box. It was upside down, so when I turned it over, all the donuts fell out onto the grime filled pavement. Just then, an elderly couple walked past and said, “Well, I guess you’ll have to feed the birds.” Being under a time crunch, I smiled at them, and the words “ten second rule” immediately came to mind. I thought, “I’m sure they’re not that dirty…after all, there’s only several hundred people a day that drive and walk through this parking lot. I know it’s flu season and all, but what’s a girl supposed to do? I have to be somewhere in ten minutes!” (Okay, now for all you germaphobics, you may want to stop reading here.) So, I scooped up the donuts, dumped them into the box, and just shook my head, smiling. On the way to my next appointment, I kept eyeing the donuts next to me and decided I better try one to make sure they were still edible for the birthday party. After scarfing down a chocolate covered, custard filled long john, I decided they’d be just fine.

The birthday party was great. Charlie was thrilled with all his presents, (only a few of which were on his list) and everyone liked the donuts, despite a little grit. (Although, I did wake up this morning with a sore throat…) When asked, Charlie reported that he had “an awesome birthday. I LOVE everything I got.” Today, he keeps asking when the mailman comes hoping for more surprises. Both Nana and Great Grandma Israelsen sent wonderful cards and Grandma Halverson left a fabulous book on her recent visit.

Charlie is a delight to have in our family. Here are a few things that come to mind unique about him:

1. Every night, he can’t go to sleep until I give him a kiss and a hug and rub his back for a few seconds. The funny thing is that other than that, he doesn’t like to be touched. If I start rubbing his back or shoulders during the day, he always pushes me away like he’s annoyed.

2. Charlie is the best sleeper of the kids. He falls asleep within minutes of touching the pillow and many times will sleep in, in the morning. We appreciate this about him now, but hope he’ll be an early riser when seminary starts in a few years.

3. Charlie is always up for personal interaction and having fun. So, whether we want to play a board game, throw the ball, go for a bike ride, or just play outside, etc, we can count on him to participate.

Well, it looks like I need to end here as Lucy is standing next to me wetting all over the carpet. We’ve finally convinced her to try “big girl panties on”, but haven’t been so persuasive about sitting on the toilet when she needs to go. What’s one more carpet stain? Milk was spilled all over my carpet this morning as Lucy decided to bring the gallon upstairs to me, rather than wait for me to come down. And, a second ago, I stepped in Nesquick powder spread across the kitchen floor. Life is beautiful!

No comments: