July 21, 2008

Great Smoky Mountains- TN

We just returned from a great week in the Great Smoky Mtns. One of my sisters has a friend who offered us their cabin, so we jumped at the chance to go. Then, at the last minute, another sister was able to come, and with my mom already being there, we had an inpromptu partial family reunion. It was really nice to spend some time together. Brad and I have only made it to Utah as a family once in the past four years, so we were overdue for a get together. (Although, we missed my other three sisters and their families).

Our days were filled with tubing down the river, white water rafting, canoing, hiking, cliff jumping, swimming in a warm lake, mountain biking (Brad and Brett), and playing games at night. Except for a hike where our boys pushed the bad attitude-o-meter to my limit , we couldn't have had a better vacation.

Tubing:

Hiking:

Cabin pictures:

White water rafting:
The Lake:

Saying goodbye:
Other things I want to remember about the trip are:

1. Charlie got three bee stings at once and Sawyer got one. We couldn't figure out why they were running around flapping their hands and screaming until I saw the bee clinging onto Sawyer's back.

2. Lucy went number two in the woods while we were having a picnic. It was pretty gross, but I was really proud of her that she didn't go in her underwear.

3. Lucy and Maya played really well most of the time, but sometimes Lucy was mean. A couple of our kids can be mean spirited. I wish they weren't. Thankfully, Jenny and Brett still like us, despite our daughter's multiple personality.

4. Our boys love playing in the river. They don't like hikes. At least not this trip.

5. Mealtime wasn't stressful. We planned menus ahead, then Jenny and I did one big shopping trip when we got to the cabin.

6. My sisters and mom are intuitively helpful in the kitchen. I really appreciate that about them.

7. We all have very thoughtful and helpful husbands.

8. Sawyer had an allergic reaction to Amoxicillin and broke out in a massive rash which lasted several days.

9. Two of my kids are allergic to Amoxicillin. Lucy had the same reaction a week earlier.

10. The car ride went by really quickly when I crocheted baby blankets.

11. I finished reading Snow Flower and the secret fan on the beach and had tears streaming down my cheeks during the last few pages.

12. Our boys fearlessly jumped off a 35-40 ft. cliff into the water, with 20 teenagers as bystanders.

13. We swam in a perfect temperature lake near Jenny and Brett's house. You know how you usually have a cold twinge when you first jump in? Not here. It was my kind of lake.

14. Our boys love canoing- even though they don't know how to navigate very well. When I was with them, we just kept going in circles.

15. Lucy didn't have any potty accidents on the trip.

16. The kids slept on cots in the basement of the cabin. They looked really cute all lined up next to each other.

17. The cabin was perfect for a group our size. Each family had their own room and bathroom.

18. Maya brought her doll named John and bear named Charlie. The girls had a ball throwing John and his clothes off the balcony.

19. Spencer's shoes gave him huge blisters.

20. We found a swarm of butterflies who were dying after completing their migration.

21. Shelly was fighting nausea the entire time, but was a good sport about it.

22. Uncle Pat spoiled all the kids with yummy treats and icecream.

23. Mom loved walking around in her MBT sandals.

24. I love mountain and water trips with kids.

25. My mom made honey candy like she did when we were young. (In those days she'd set up tables in the garage and we'd go out there and stretch it). The kids liked it.

2 comments:

abm said...

Wow, sounds like a total blast. Sisters bonding, cousins playing, and yummy homemade candy. I can't believe how much you and your sisters look alike. Your mom looks great. Love all the activities. I'm jealous! Summer is flying by.

Eric & Laura said...

We were so sad we couldn't come! It looks like it was so much fun!